Thursday, August 15, 2002

Everything yesterday went really well. I found my roomie's house quite easily (though I did pass her gate twice), and I had a great time meeting her family and some of her friends at church. We hung out for a couple hours when I first got there. We mostly talked and fooled around. Her best friend was over as well, so it was cool to get to meet her. That night at church was family night, so there was a potluck before the service. Sometimes potluck's can be pretty sketch, but this one was good. I was very pleased. Eating dinner also gave me a lot of time to meet her friends and talk to them a bit. I think I heard about 30 people's names. I remember about five. Not bad I'd say. After dinner we went to church. The kids did a couple of songs at the beginning, and they were pretty cute. Worship was really good. Their church doesn't have a drummer right now, but they did a really good job of keeping things on a steady beat. I think it helped that the two guitarists had Taylors that were really bassy. On a couple of songs one of the guitarists picked up an egg shaker and a tambourine and played those instead. The only thing about worship that drove me nuts is that we were sitting down. I was seriously ready to bust out of that pew! I should have actually, it probably would have started a trend. This summer it's been so cool to be going to places where I'm not involved in a worship team. Don't get me wrong, I love to participate in leading worship, but sometimes it's good to be there as a "normal" participant.

After church we hung around a little while then headed back to my roomie's house because it was getting late. I got my band's rough CD out of my car and let her listen to it. She thought it was very good, I was flattered. After that I said my goodbyes and was on my way.

At least I thought I was on my way.

My roomie's house is at the end of a long driveway. At the end of the driveway is a gate. My roomie told me to drive up to the gate slowly, and it would open automatically. However, on the way out the gate opens toward your car, so you can't get too close unless you want a nice dent. So, I drove down the driveway, approached the gate and nothing. So, I backed up and tried again. I did this about ten times before deciding to call their house on my cell phone. Busy. I tried a few more times. No go. So, I backed up all the way down their driveway to find them all outside. Were they watching me that whole time? No, they couldn't have been. I don't think you can see the gate from the house...at least I hope not. They told me I needed to drive closer to it. Closer! My car's going to get smashed! So, I drove up the driveway again, got what I thought was rediculously close to a gate that was about to swing toward me, and it finally opened. At this point I am frustrated and feel like a huge dork for not being able to drive my car through their gate. I guess God's just trying to keep me humble. All and all though, a very excellent visit. Very weird that I will see them all again in a little over two weeks.

No comments: