Sunday, September 29, 2002

I just realized I haven't blogged about last night, which is quite a shame because I really want to talk about tonight. But that would result in a ridiculously (notice the I Ali) long blog. So, I guess I'll talk about last night, because if I don't now I never will.

Where to start. Things started out at Wal-mart actually, hours before I left for LA. I was there with a couple other girls, one of which I'd met before, but hadn't spent that much time with her. Yet another international student. These people are awesome. Everyone should meet people from other countries, it's such a great experience. While at Wal-mart we were talking about what we were doing that night, because some people were going to the Switchfoot concert. It turned out that this girl and I were both going on the same trip that night, and we didn't know it. So after realizing that we were both stoked that we were going to know someone there.

We worked with a group called Beans, Rice, and Jesus Christ. It's headed up through a church in LA...I don't know it's name. Sorry. Basically, we met a bunch of people at school for rides at 7:30, drove down to this church and got our instructions there. They gave us half an hour to just pray and prepare our hearts. Then we went out to the toy district of LA and started telling people that we were going to be serving beans and rice in fifteen minutes. Oh, and right when we got there it started pouring. So, we were all soaked. It was a really humbling thing though, to be dirty and wet and cold like all the other people on the streets. There I was all wet, talking to these people who were also battling the rain. Cardboard boxes lined the streets on both sides for several blocks. After inviting them we all gathered around the van and a guy from the church gave a short message. After that we served the people food, then had the next hour+ to talk with them.

It was awesome.

Most of the time I talked with this one guy with another girl. He was a Christian, and spent most of the time somewhat preaching to us. That's ok though, because he probably doesn't run across many people that will just listen to him. I also talked to one guy a bit who was from Mexico. I couldn't understand too much though. We exchanged names and stuff, and I gave him information about a church event that was going on the next day. Then I called my newfound international friend over, because she lived in Ecuador most of her life.

The whole night was so stretching, but so great at the same time. I think I'm going to keep going there even after I get my required ministry hours. There's so much to sort after doing something like that though. Last night we got back at 12:00, but I couldn't fall asleep for another hour because my mind was just racing. Why are they out on the streets, and I get to come back to my dorm room at my school that costs a ton of money and take a hot shower? What's the right way to live? How much of a curse is material wealth? So much to think about. It definitely put a different perspective on my day today. I was a lot more thankful for everything. I can't wait to go back next week. I could do without the rain this time though.

No comments: