Sunday, December 29, 2002

I fought myself to get out of bed this morning. It was 9:30, and part of me wanted to get up and go to church, but most of me did not. Finally church won out though, and I made it to the 80s church as they were starting the first song. I got to see a friend there that I haven't seen since this summer, so it was cool to catch up and hear about how she's been. She's been in Phoenix doing Master's Commission. Church was alright. Honestly I don't remember too much about it, except that the sermon was on getting a good report. I could expand but I'm not going to, because I'm much more excited about this afternoon and tonight than this morning.

In the middle of last week my pastor called me up and told me that I was it for church sunday night, because the person who was going to lead couldn't come afterall. I was fine with that. In fact, I was already planning on helping her out anyway, since she isn't a normal worship leader at the church. So, I got to church today at about 2:45, feeling a bit nervous about the whole thing. Yesterday I had been so excited, but today I mostly felt ill. All afternoon my stomach churned. I prayed, but it didn't seem to help much. Once we got going though, everything was fine. We eneded up with a "coffeeshop" band, meaning I was on acoustic guitar, then there was a keyboard, bass, and various percussion and hand drums. It rocked. It's so much easier to organize with four instruments rather than 100. Ok, slight exaggeration, but everything was so tight and so simple, it was great. It definitely made it a lot easier for my first time leading worship with a band.

The service was great. I forgot how fun it is to lead worship. I haven't done it since high school really, so to be in that position again was a cool thing. I definitely think more about what I'm singing when I'm leading. You'd think it wouldn't be that way, because it's so easy to get distracted with all the logistics. But in reality, it focuses me on what we're saying, because I'm leading a bunch of people in worship. I need to examine myself and check my motives when I'm up there, and I need to genuinely worship. So overall it was loads of fun, and a huge challenge from God all at the same time. I think in some ways too it was a bit of confirmation about what I'm thinking of studying in school. I'm majoring in music, and have been thinking for a while about emphasizing in church music. Leading tonight renewed a bit of that passion in me, and I'm excited to see what God does with it.

No comments: