Tuesday, March 25, 2003

School can be weird. It can be so weird because it can be so difficult and stressful for some people, and for others it can almost be enjoyable. Surprisingly my case is the latter. Right now I have more songs I need to write for classes than papers. Is there something wrong with this picture? I feel like I'm cheating somehow. Am I really supposed to enjoy school? Ok, so I'm not enjoying everything, but I'm loving some of my assignments right now.

Intro to Music Technology - work on a background track that eventually we will record a live audio track to (i.e. record the background then we'll record the vocals on top and you can have a near-studio quality recording).
Music Theory - write a 16 bar (minimum) four part song that follows leading and resolution rules. I think right now my song is somewhere in the 40 measure range, and I'm not done. It's not even due for three or four weeks, but I just love doing it. The past two days I've worked on it several hours, and though I know it's not the best song ever written I also know that it's not bad, and I think that's something for my first time doing this.

And with the rest of my free time I'm getting other small bits of homework done, hanging out with friends, reading a fantastic book (The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman), and getting over this cold. Funny how I felt horrible about things in general last night, but suddenly things are looking a lot better. I guess that's what happens when you get good sleep, a presentation gets pushed back a week, you get out of half your classes at least half an hour early, you enjoy a book and a great cup of tea, and it's a sunny day. Not bad, not bad at all.

No comments: