Tuesday, November 06, 2007

[don't] entertain us

I'm not totally sure how this is going to come out, but I'm just going to try. This is one of those times I really wish I knew more people in my profession because I would love to bounce these ideas off someone who is facing similar dilemmas.

Anyway, here's the run-down:

This afternoon I visited (with several people from my church) another church in town. In fact, it may very well be the largest church in town, at least one of the largest. Anyway, this church is pretty well known in the area and is definitely the only church doing what they're doing. What do I mean exactly? The church that doesn't look or feel like a church. Multiple venues, professional lighting, staging and sound equipment, two coffee shops, ultra high tech. I was talking to their tech guy and he said that on their last staging set up they had something like 12 projectors in the worship center. Most people in the world aren't aware of how much a projector costs so let me just tell you, ballpark is around $2000. So there's obviously a lot of money and manpower going into the ambiance of this place.

When I'm surrounded by technology like that I feel several things. First, I'm a little jealous because there are obviously a lot of very creative and very technology savvy people at that church that I wish I had at my disposal. That's not to say we don't have those kinds of people, but we don't have them in that kind of abundance. However, my second feeling is one of discomfort. Honestly, I'm really turned off to that kind of environment. I've tried it. It just leaves me tired. Here's the thing, I know we're in a changing culture and that you've got to speak a language that people understand. However, what if the values that culture is espousing aren't worthy of being emulated? What if a technology driven, fast paced culture runs in contradiction to the values of orthodox Christianity? What if I'm tired of clean-cut, have-it-your-way, flashy, picture perfect, and just want something real....something genuine? I'm not saying these people aren't genuine and I know this church is doing a lot of good and a lot of people who wouldn't normally attend church are going there, but I'm just left with a lot of questions after seeing their facility and hearing a bit about their church this afternoon.

I wrestle with this stuff. This is really hard for me. This physically burdens me. I am so afraid of what the American church could be turning into. I don't want the American church to be a Christianized version of American pop culture. Things have got to go deeper than that. I'm just so weary of it. I guess I had my fill while I lived in LA, I don't know. What I do know is that I don't find that attractive at all. I don't want to be an audience member, I'm already one of those often enough. I don't want to be entertained, I have access to entertainment 24 hours a day. I want something different. Something I can relate to, but different nonetheless.

Does anyone hear what I'm saying in this incoherent babbling?

3 comments:

J Bakes said...

Let me just say that I love this entry. What you've stated here are feelings that I've more or less had for the past year, but have not had the words or venue to express.

The last church I attended regularly was of this type: fast paced, technology driven, and loud. It was fun and entertaining for a time, but as you so aptly put it, left me tired and craving more. The message was watered down and there was little in the way of real community; it was not about interaction, it was about sitting back and being entertained.

That's not to say that I believe this type of church or evangelism is not effective for a certain set of people. With so many mega churches in this day in age, it's hard to say this form of evangelism isn't in some way making a difference. However, is this the direction the mainstream church should be heading?

Don't get me wrong, technology is a wonderful thing and I definitely think there are ways to employ it in the modern church without it being inundating. Though, should the church be perpetuating this sort of clean cut, fast paced, consumer driven lifestyle/experience or be a safe haven from it? We, as Christians, have something that is truly special, but when it isn't portrayed any differently than everything else being offered in the world, how can and why would we expect anyone to try and differentiate between them?

"I don't want the American church to be a Christianized version of American pop culture."

That statement echoes my thoughts perfectly. I don't know if this is
exactly what Jesus was talking about when he said we should be set apart from the world, but I think it has some application. While I believe people have good intentions when trying this style of evangelism and that it works to some extent, I don't think it is the way Christ and the early church would portray Christianity in this today. In fact, most of the way early Christianity was depicted was completely counter-culture.

While this may not be the direction the main stream church is going, I know that in some places there is sort-of a small movement to get back to the small community style churches and groups. People need to be integrated with other believers to thrive and I think these relationship driven style communities help provide that.

At any rate, my point is that I understand and feel your frustration with the mainstream, modern day church. Will it change any time soon? Maybe not, but there is hope and it starts with people like us who see the need and are ready to make a change.

Sorry for the rambling, hope this all makes a little sense.

-Jon

John Knight said...

I would agree. I won't say much as I kind of went off on this in the last post, but it's a difficult line. Especially because of the wide array of denominations. If we can't even agree on the specifics of doctrine, how are we all supposed to agree on technology? But again, in my opinion, it's all about the people, the community. And in the end, if it's not an abusive presentation of Christ, I suppose we just let it slide and find somewhere we feel nurtured. I think.

Megan Elizabeth said...

I wish I had something very deep and meaningful to say, but all I have is, I understnad the burden you feel. And I agree with your sentiments. So what does that me we are to do?