Thursday, August 22, 2002

Let me sum up the last two days in a couple words: packing and socializing.

When you're about to leave, everyone realizes that it's their last chance to hang out with you, so you end up with a complete overload of visits. Today I said my hardest goodbye yet, and no it wasn't to one of my closest friends. It was to my grandparents. I didn't even think about it being hard. But when I was driving home tonight from their house the tears started welling and they wouldn't stop.

My mom's parents are awesome. That's not to say I don't love my dad's parents, but I get along really well with my mom's. They've lived within half an hour of my house my whole life, so I've seen a lot of them. I've probably never gone more than about 6 weeks without seeing them. Tonight my dad and I went over there for dinner. As usual it was delicious, and we had a lot of good conversation over dinner. I love it when my grandparents get on tangents about their life and people they've known and jobs they've had. I wasn't around then, (obviously) so I don't know about that portion of their life. My dad brought my band's CD over there and let them hear it. They were both so proud. My grandmother came over to me after it was finished and gave me a big hug and told me "I'm so proud of you." Growing up it was her dream to sing with a band. She could have done it too, if the war hadn't broke out.

I know the hardest goodbye is yet to come though, and that will be my parents. Yes, I'm glad to get out of the house and not have to live under so many rules. I love them though, and there haven't been too many times that I haven't wanted to be here. I never went through a rebellious phase, or a phase where I thought I hated them. I'm so grateful for them, and it's going to be hard to live apart from them. I just need to remember I'm living apart from them, but not without them. They're always a phone call away. Now I'm crying. That's the signal to end this.

No comments: