Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.
Pslam 24:3-4


A friend of mine pointed this verse out to me today. It instantly reminded me of a Sara Groves song called Know My Heart.

Why do I pray-do I pray to say I prayed an hour?
Why do I love-do I want you beholden to me?
Why do I help-do I want to hear my name called out?
Why do I sing?

Search me and know my heart O God
See if there is any wrong thing in me
All I have ever really wanted
Are clean hands and a pure heart


Why do I tithe-do I tithe so I can get a blessing?
Why do I praise-do I praise to do the right thing?
Why do I serve-do I serve so others will serve me?
Why do I sing?



I think I can get very legalistic in my faith. It's always been that way for me. Legalism is what trapped me before I was willing to understand that Christianity is about relationship, not a list of dos and don'ts. It's so much easier to be caught up in doing what's "right" and thinking that it's enough. Often I judge my own walk that way. Well, I'm not doing anything majorly wrong, so I must be ok. Surely I'm much stronger than the people around me who are stumbling over so many trivial things. My self-imposed "righteousness" often causes me to neglet things which are vital to the relationship part of my faith. No need to confess, study, repent or seek when I'm not doing anything wrong, correct? Wrong. I deceive myself so easily.

And in reality, my "righteousness" is just garbage to Him anyway. At least if it were in order to please Him He would at least see that motive in my heart and be pleased with that. I wonder how often that is really the case. What does it take for me to realize that I need clean hands and a pure heart, and that it's not the "major" things that keep me from having them. It's a part of being human.

Search me and know my heart O God. See if there is any wrong thing in me. All I have ever really wanted are clean hands and a pure heart

No comments: