Saturday, September 21, 2002

My night last night was a great example of college life. Of course it's the first time I've had a night like that, but it was very stereotypically college life. I missed dinner at the caf (hello, why do they stop at six?) so I was contemplating what I was going to do for dinner. I was out in the lobby jamming on my guitar, and all of a sudden two girls walk by, one of which I know pretty well. They were intruiged by my playing, so I asked them if they wanted me to play anything. They thought for a moment then the girl I know said, "Oh there was this Jennifer Knapp song that I played in my room...what's that song called?" She couldn't think of it, so I started throwing out titles. It only took two. The next 3 and a half minutes were spent playing and singing A Little More, with one of the girls singing the melody on the chorus while I took the harmony. It was tight. After that, another friend walked by and he asked me if I wanted some pizza. I said sure. So, he went downstairs to order the pizzas and I chilled a bit more with my guitar. Then I went over to someone else's room and told them I was now in on their pizza.

When the pizzas came we ate them in the hallway. One guy started keeping track of how long it would take each person to walk through our mess. We had a lot of fun eating dinner. International students are hilarious. Actually, hilarious is such an understatement. Really it's these people's personalities, but the cultural differences make things extra funny. It is also quite amusing (and very confusing) when they start talking to each other in other languages. Some of us tried to make an english only rule, but it didn't really work.

After eating we played some game for a really really long time. My team won twice. It was like taboo, except without a word list and with a timer. Sorta like taboo meets hot potato. Anyway, we completely wore that one out, then some of us decided to go on a walk. We talked a lot about home, about how things are there and what we miss. That's another great part about hanging out with international students...hearing about where they're from and telling them about other parts of the country. I'm convinced one girl would love it where I live and that I need to get her up there somehow.

All in all, it was a great night. Mainly the same group of people that I've been hanging out with the past week. Everyone's so caring, and it hasn't been too difficult to be myself around them. And I'm not feeling like such a loser that doesn't have friends :o) Yay for fun friday nights.

No comments: