Friday, September 13, 2002

One of the best things that could have happened just did in the last couple hours. I hung out with a group of people and really enjoyed their company. They enjoyed mine as well. Three international students, a michigander and two californians (one being myself). We had a great talk about adjusting to life here, about culture, and about some books. These are intelligent people. These are people that are motivated to learn. I think Americans have a huge tendency to take education (even higher education) for granted, as something they have to do. In some ways, it is something they have to do. Well, they don't have to, but it's strongly encouraged if not forced in some cases.

I felt comfortable around them all. There weren't any masks, we were all just being ourselves. When a couple of them said come over any time and one girl asked for my phone extension, I knew they were genuine. I will hear from that girl again. I will be able to go over to that girl's room for tea again. I had two cups of tea for my aching throat, it was wonderful. I when I stood up to leave, one of them gave me a hug. Not a charity hug or a common greeting hug, but a real hug. I haven't hugged anyone since I've been here. If I have, it's just been a really casual thing. It felt good to be comfortable with people. When I got back in my room I could not help but say a prayer and just say thank you God. What a great night.

No comments: