Saturday, September 14, 2002

I started an essay today. Go me.

The role of Christ to culture is the same that he plays in the entirety of our lives, that of redeemer and transformer. The act of redemption is to be bought back, but it also means to change for the better. For example, if I were to take a coupon for free ice cream I had received and redeem it, I would be given ice cream in return. In this instance I have redeemed a piece of paper that was seemingly worthless for something of much greater value, ice cream. Much like a piece of paper can be exchanged for something of larger worth, Christ has redeemed our lives so that we no longer have to be slaves to sin, but can be heirs in his kingdom. Christ does not only play the role of redeemer in our lives in respect to eternity, rather it is part of his character. In order to be true to that attribute of his character, the interaction between Christ and culture has to be one of redemption, in which Christ uses and improves different aspects of culture to use them to further his kingdom and to glorify himself.

No comments: