Thursday, January 22, 2004

I just saw someone that I haven't seen for over eight months as I was walking back to my place from my last class. She was sitting on the lawn talking to someone, and I looked, looked twice, then looked a third time. By the second glance she had seen me too, so I was hoping if it was who I thought it was, that she would recognize me as well. And it was her - my RD from last year. I doubt I ever mentioned her, but she was a really large help especially first semester last year when my grandfather died. She and my RA were there when my mom called me and told me the news, and she (Jamie) held me while I sat on my dorm room floor and just bawled. They both helped me decide what I should do about going home (whether I should fly out that night or the next morning) and they both told me they'd do whatever necessary to help me. They left me alone for a while and I worked things out with my plane ticket, then I went down to my RD's, where she let me play guitar and hang out by myself for a while. She even had to leave for a meeting a bit later, but she let me stay in her place by myself and chill so I wouldn't have to face anyone. She drove me to the airport the next morning, and when I got back we talked many times about how things were going with me and with my family.

Needless to say, it was great to see her today. We haven't had contact for a long time so there was so much to talk about there was almost nothing to talk about. She did get my email though, and I'm going to be on her update list. She and her husband are leaving for South Africa next week and will be there for 10-11 months. I got to tell her that things are going well, I'm feeling well, and that my family is doing well. Mostly it was just good to be with her, even for just a brief moment. We didn't really have to see anything, it was enough to exchange a few words and see her face. So that was the bright spot in my day, if not my week. If you think of it, pray for Jamie and her husband Dave. They have a long trip ahead of them.

No comments: