Sunday, January 18, 2004

It's Sunday. You know what that means? It means my roommates and I get to listen to music blaring outside our window until about 4pm. Why don't we just ask them to turn the music down? Why don't we just talk to our RA? We can't, because the music isn't coming from someone on campus. It's from the flea market next door. And there isn't a dang thing we can do about it.

That actually is one of the benefits to going to church in the morning, because you'll miss several hours of the 80s/latin music blast. Unfortunately I've discovered that I just don't do well at morning services. I can go to one, sure, but why do it when I can go to church in the evening and be so much more awake and aware. Unfortunately that leaves me sitting here in my room listening to the bassline of who knows what horrible song. It's kind of like that game Name that Tune on crack.

All my classes turned out to be alright. I'm not sure there are any I particularly love but none of them are horrible either, so it'll work out ok. A lot of them are actually just continuations of what I took last semester. Yesterday I read the entire book of Luke as an assignment for one of my classes. Funny how that worked out. I guess I was meant to read it one way or another. That's one class that could turn out to be cool, now that I think about it. It's called Luke/Acts, but everyone I've talked to has always had a lame prof for that class so they haven't really liked it. You end up thinking it's going to be so cool but you come out dissappointed. Well, I had my first go at in on Wenesday (it's a once a week evening class) and I thought it was pretty cool. I have a bunch of friends in the class, the prof is really nice, and I really thought what we learned was interesting. To top things off the class is going to be an hour shorter every week because he has to drive to Irvine to teach somewhere else. That leaves me with a great dinner break before lab.

I'm taking a class called History of Modern Philosophy. Several times yesterday I found myself wishing I was taking Ancient instead of Modern so that I could relate it to Biblical times and see what kinds of thinking were prominent during Jesus' day and the times that the New Testament was written. Maybe another semester if I have time for it. Anyway, I am excited about this class, even if it is a lot of history. Normally I have a really hard time relating history to my life in any way, but I feel like this class is so relevant because I can see how philosophies have shaped peoples' thinking today. It's funny when you finally see a foundation for a certain way you think and you ask "Do I just think this way because I've been told to all my life?" I haven't been in the class long enough to give a bunch of examples, though we did go over a few things Friday. I'm sure as they come up I'll have to express my thoughts somewhere though.

I'm going to San Diego next weekend, Mel's coming the next, my parents are coming the next. All I have to do is get through this week and it's on to good times. Thank goodness.

No comments: