Tuesday, March 09, 2004

I think I'm approaching the top of the hill. The pinnacle is in sight. This is a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad because I still have the last push to the top that's the steepest. But it's great because I'm almost over the top and on the downward slope. One week until freedom. Well, not freedom but freedom in comparison to the last 2+ weeks. I have two major assignments down, two midterms and one group presentation to go. The following week I have another midterm but I'm just not going to count that because I want "this" bundle of stress to be over.

Now that I've sufficiently talked about school. This Saturday a freshman girl from my school got killed in a car accident. Another car was driving the wrong way on the freeway I believe (or on an inerchange or something) and hit her head on. She was killed instantly, and the two passengers in her car suffered a lot of external (but no internal) injuries. Today they had a service for her on campus. Yesterday in chapel our campus pastor urged us to go even if we didn't know her to show her family support. As he talked a bit about this girl I knew I should go. I had this huge lump in my throat and I was welling with tears, and I never even met this girl. Funny how someone you've never met can teach you so much. In an hour and fifteen minutes today I got a glimpse of who this girl was, and she sounded amazing. Her passion was definitely to serve other people. There was story after story about how she cared for people. And she didn't just do it generally, she was a detail type of person. She would find out what someone liked or what their needs were and would do something especially for them. She always put others first. At the beginning of the service our campus pastor talked a bit, and he mentioned the passage about the woman who annointed Jesus with perfume. He was saying how a lot of people might say, "this is such a waste" but they said the same thing about the woman. Just like she poured out the expensive perfume, this girl poured out her life to other people. And what she did will not be forgotten.

No comments: