Wednesday, May 19, 2004

I'm a member of the workforce again! Okay maybe not permanently, but in the past two days I've spent eight hours working ("working") which makes for a very happy Krystle. I'm probably going to do about six or seven hours tomorrow too which I'm stoked about. Last night at the store we had a gig/presentation by Greg Bennett. He's done a ton of guitar design and right now he's teamed up with Samick designing guitars for them. I own one actually. They're great sounding guitars for an extremely low price. I'm not quite sure how he does it. So basically last night he would play a few songs (he's a great player) then take some time to talk about different aspects of guitar construction and design. It was ideal for me, being someone who knows enough about guitar design not to get lost, but not much beyond that. He talked about acoustics and also finger picked a ton of stuff. He wasn't the type of player that just blows your mind, but he was super down to earth and inspiring. He played this ridiculous version of Stars and Stripes forever. It even had the crazy piccolo part!

Unfortunately to set up for the event we had to move a ton of bass gear off this stage area in the store and take it across to backstock. Fortunately it's not too far, but moving all that stuff was a huge pain. Literally. Luckily this morning I didn't end up moving any of it back, but I did end up unloading some other gear and I'm definitely feeling it now. I don't ever want to be a bass player. Those amps and cabinets weigh a ton. It's ridiculous. Seriously, these dinky six inch tall heads will weigh more than a medium sized amp. What's up with that?

They're having a huge Marshall event tomorrow which should be really cool. They're going to do it outside and give away some free gear and probably do a lot of demoing. The event will actually be after hours I think and they're going to do a BBQ. Things like this are why I love working in a small town music store. They really make an effort to get the community involved and do a lot of cool and interesting things. Hopefully tomorrow won't involve so much heavy lifting. Luckily I remember a lot of those Marshall stacks having wheels. Here's hoping.

No comments: